Thursday, January 14, 2016

Welcome!

Welcome! I'm glad you're here!

Why? Well... because it's nice to share thoughts with somebody! And because I hope it will be helpful to someone someday, even in some small way, to read about my experience almost-unschooling with my kids.

It's not that I think I have anything exceptionally profound to share. There are so many fantastic homeschooling blogs out there already that the community is hardly suffering for lack of one more. And it's not like I'm a wise, experienced veteran, either - my kids are only 7, 5 and 1 as of when I started this blog.

But I've learned so much from reading other people's blogs - you can see my list of favorites over there on the right - that I'd really like to give back in the same way, if I can. I'd like to share what has worked for us, and the challenges that crop up along the way.

I also feel like interest in unschooling is increasing all the time. Other homeschoolers routinely know what the word means nowadays, and quite often even non-homeschoolers have heard of it, at least vaguely. But many people find themselves a little hesitant to adopt unschooling completely, and let all parent-led instruction fall by the wayside - no matter how much they love the idea in theory! Maybe we'll get there some day. But for now, I'm pandering to my internal "what-ifs" by keeping a tiny amount of "schoolwork" in our schedule. So, in case anyone else out there is wondering what life would look like if they are almost ready to take the plunge into unschooling, but still want to wear their floaties... well, I hope this blog will give a picture of how it works for our family.

No comments:

Post a Comment